Southeast Tech, located in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, seeks a Vice President of Academic Affairs to lead an outstanding team of faculty, staff, and administrators who provide high quality technical education programs to support the success of our students. This individual will be responsible for Southeast Tech’s strategic academic portfolio in the areas of development and analysis of academic programs, accreditation, selection and development of faculty, and expansion of outreach programs.
About Southeast Tech:
Southeast Tech has been recognized as one of America’s Best 2-Year Colleges because of the quality, affordability, and results-based education delivered to our students. Since opening its doors in 1968, Southeast Tech has grown and adapted to the Sioux Falls region’s changing economic landscape and labor market demands. Over the decades, Southeast Tech has continued to strive to create workforce excellence, meet the needs of the business community, and train and educate individuals for employment opportunities, professional growth, and life-long learning. Southeast Tech offers over 50 academic technical education programs in industry sectors that are key in meeting the nation’s work force needs. Southeast Tech currently enrolls over 2300 students, including 1,450 full-time, 680 part-time, and 170 high school students enrolled in credit courses, and employs over 200 instructional staff, including 80 full-time faculty, with an Academics budget of $13 million.
Learn more about the college
About the Area
About Sioux Falls, South Dakota:
Sioux Falls is the state’s largest city in South Dakota with over 183,000 people. The city has been ranked in top placements by Forbes and Money Magazine for its economic growth, professional employment opportunities, growing financial and health care sectors, and quality of community life. Originally centered on quarrying and agriculturally-based industries, the economy of Sioux Falls has become greatly diversified and more service-based, making the city an important location for financial services, health care, and retail trade.
Sioux Falls Chamber of Commerce
Our Mission and Vision
To educate individuals for dynamic and rewarding careers that promote lifetime success and meet the workforce needs of our region.
Educational excellence for tomorrow’s workforce.
Southeast Tech is a nationally recognized college having been named as one of Aspen’s Top 10% Colleges and recently receiving a Noel Levitz award for retention efforts. The college seeks an energetic, inspiring, and charismatic leader who has had success in the following areas.
With increased enrollment over the past academic year and in tandem with the new President, the next Vice President for Academic Affairs will lead faculty and academic staff in continuing the enrollment momentum by exploring and developing new programs and by providing leadership and guidance for revamping existing programs.
Success in External Partnerships
Under new Presidential leadership, Southeast Tech has strategically and actively engaged the community in developing new training opportunities and academic programs that are relevant to the region’s work force. The next Vice President for Academic Affairs will have a record of meeting the needs of the community through innovative program development and developing partnerships with businesses, community organizations, k-12 districts, and other institutions of higher education.
The Vice President of Academic Affairs is a member of the Administrative Team that reports directly to the President. This individual will have a strong background and track record of leading strategic growth. This individual is the public face of Academic Affairs throughout the campus and external communities. The successful individual for this position will:
- Provide strong, dynamic leadership that fosters an environment that encourages teaching and learning excellence.
- Provide innovative and successful academic leadership and vision to guide Southeast Tech’s academic programs into the future.
- Work collegially with campus leadership and faculty committees on matters that impact academic policies, procedures, and academic programs.
- Provide guidance and leadership to the Academic Affairs instructional staff to develop educational programs, including the standards and evaluation of faculty.
- Provide leadership and oversight of the program accreditation process.
- Participate in planning of new facilities for the purposes of instructional services.
- Review grant opportunities and oversee implementation within Academic Affairs.
- Understand and promote the role and use of technology in the instructional environment.
- Advocate and promote quality instruction and student success, and serve as a champion of diversity, equity, and inclusion to meet the needs of a growing diverse student population.
- Work effectively with community groups, educational entities, business, industry, government, and legislative bodies to develop partnerships that result in improved services and robust technical education programs to students and the community.
- Represent Southeast Tech at local, state, and regional meetings and conferences.
- Supervise, and evaluate the job functions and activities of the Deans, Directors, and direct support staff of Academic Affairs.
- Provide direction in recruitment and selection of faculty.
- Provide sound judgment and resolution to staff and student issues.
- Effectively analyze financial information to provide direction and support for maximizing use of funds, and to ensure that overall departmental operations are within budget.
Qualifications and Preferred Characteristics
- Master’s Degree in related field required. Doctoral degree preferred.
- Three years of demonstrated higher education leadership experience including academic or student services administration.
- Successful record of teaching at the post-secondary level is preferred.
- Demonstrated experience with strategic planning, budget planning, fiscal management, and leading efforts for ongoing accreditation standards.
- Demonstrated leadership with focused commitment to teaching, learning, and academic excellence that promotes student success.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a participatory environment that values employee inclusion, respect, and diversity at all levels of the organization.
- Demonstrated experience with program accreditation and use of program review.
- Knowledge and experience of selecting and implementing new academic programs.
- Knowledge and experience with innovative methods in curriculum development.
- Critical thinker with outstanding interpersonal and communication skills.
- Must be ethical, trustworthy, credible, fair, flexible, loyal, and respectful of diverse views and opinions.
- Able to delegate responsibility and authority by maintaining accountability.
Printable Text Profile
Please direct inquiries and nominations to the College's search consultant: Angela Provart, President, Pauly Group, Inc., 3901 Wood Duck Drive, Suite E, Springfield, IL 62711, Phone: 217-241-5400, Fax: 217-241-5401, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please submit electronically to email@example.com the following documents as MS Word or Adobe Acrobat attachments: (1) a cover letter that addresses the Opportunity Overview; (2) a current résumé; and (3) names and contact information of three professional references.
The committee will begin review of applications immediately. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, with materials submitted by Monday, May 21, 2018 receiving priority consideration. All applications are confidential and references will not be contacted without the expressed authorization of the applicant.