Located in Farmington New Mexico, San Juan College serves as a regional leader in education. One of the largest two-year comprehensive community colleges in New Mexico, it ranks fifth in enrollment among all two- and four-year colleges in the state. The college provides quality education to more than 10,000 students in credit programs annually. San Juan College has four campuses throughout the area, which include the main Farmington Campus; San Juan College 30th Street Campus, also located in Farmington; San Juan College East in Aztec, New Mexico; and San Juan College West, in Kirtland, New Mexico.
Dedicated to student success and completion, San Juan College offers innovative, challenging and affordable academic programs. Through online and face-to-face classes, students can choose from hundreds of two-year degree and certificate programs, non-credit community learning classes, and workforce training. In addition, the college partners with state universities to offer both bachelor’s and master’s degrees on campus. San Juan College is accredited through the Higher Learning Commission.
San Juan College was founded in 1956 as the Farmington Branch of the New Mexico College of Agriculture and Mechanical Arts, in accordance with statutes of the State of New Mexico. The college became an independent community college in 1982.
From its modest start in 1956 with 25 students, the College now has a credit enrollment of approximately 18,000 students per year, with more than 1,100 of these being in the health sciences programs. Staff size has grown from a handful of part-time instructors to approximately 900 people. The College supports a wide variety of instructional and support activities for academic transfer, career education, and noncredit learning activities.
School of Health Sciences
The San Juan College School of Health Sciences consists of a variety of programs that support health sciences and wellness careers. Current degree and certificate programs include:
Job Ready Certification
- Dental Hygiene
- Health Information Technology
- Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Physical Education
- Physical Therapist Assistant
- Respiratory Therapy
- Surgical Technology
- Emergency Medical Services
- Nurse Aide (CAN)
- Medical Coder/Biller
- Fundamental Skills in Health Careers
- Pharmacy Technician
The college’s Veterinary Technician program will also be part of the School of Health Sciences as of the Fall of 2019.
Health Sciences Simulation Center
The college has two simulation centers, one in the Nursing Dept. and one which serves the needs of other health science programs. These simulation centers boast state-of-the-art equipment and are used extensively.
Mission, Vision, and Values
MISSION Educate and empower individuals to thrive in an ever-changing world.
VISION Inspire success through world-class education
San Juan College is committed to serving the needs of our students through a process of continuous quality improvement. We uphold and affirm the following iCARE values:
In addition to the qualifications, San Juan College, its President and Vice President for Learning are seeking the following characteristics in the next Dean of Health Sciences.
- The faculty and staff in the Health Sciences department are supportive of change and are excited to see the programs grow and expand.
- The new Dean of Health Sciences will have the opportunity to analyze practices and policies within the department to support growth and enhance financial sustainability.
- The new Dean will work with faculty to improve student success by championing innovative teaching methodology and developing effective assessments of student learning.
- The new Dean will cultivate relationships with the regional medical center, local hospitals, clinics, and health care providers. These partnerships are important to the success of the health science programs and to meeting the community’s needs for well-qualified health care professionals.
- The new Dean will have knowledge of specialized accreditation. The new Dean will also be a collaborative leader who can provide stability and consistency in leadership.
- The new Dean will have the opportunity to lead a committed faculty and staff who are well-grounded in their disciplines. Collaboration with this faculty and staff and an appreciation of professional development is critical to the success of the new Dean.
- Master’s degree in a course of study related to the occupational field is required. Terminal Degree (Ed.D. or Ph.D.) is strongly desired.
- Experience sufficient to thoroughly understand the diverse objectives and functions of the subunits in the Health Sciences division/department in order to direct and coordinate work within the School is required.
- Three to five years administrative experience managing personnel and programs within the Health Industry is required.
Printable Position Profile
Please direct inquiries and nominations to the College’s search consultant:Angela Provart, President Pauly Group, Inc.3901 Wood Duck Drive, Suite E Springfield, IL 62711. Phone: 217-241-5400; Fax: 217-241-5401; E-mail: email@example.com.
Please submit electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org the following documents as MS Word or Adobe Acrobat attachments: (1) a cover letter that addresses the Opportunity Overview; (2) a current résumé; and (3) names and contact information of five professional references.
The committee will begin review of applications immediately. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, with materials submitted by Monday, March 25, 2019 receiving priority consideration. All applications are confidential and references will not be contacted without the expressed authorization of the applicant.