Inver Hills Community College (IHCC) is dedicated to the power and promise of education; we inspire students, build careers, and strengthen communities. Our programs are relevant, affordable and flexible, allowing students to graduate at 1/3 the cost of a private two-year school.
Founded in 1970, Inver Hills Community College offers nearly 40 degree options, including an Associate of Arts degree with eight emphasis areas, an ideal choice for students planning on transferring to a four-year college or university. They save money while having the added advantage of working one-on-one with instructors. Every year, about 2,000 IHCC students transfer to four-year institutions.
Inver Hills also offers 19 Associate of Science degrees designed for immediate transfer or for entering directly into the workforce. The college will soon have five transfer pathway A.S. degrees as well, all guaranteeing transfer to Minnesota State universities with junior standing. The A.S. is perfect for those seeking a balance between a liberal arts education and learning specific skills needed for a future career.
Our four Associate of Applied Science degrees serve students wishing to launch their careers in IT as soon as possible with programs offering depth of content in technical and applied areas.
Designed for transfer, our Associate of Fine Arts, or A.F.A., degrees in art, music and theatre reflect the college’s strength in the fine arts, providing instruction in ceramics, photography, painting, production, and live performance, both in ensembles and college-production plays.
IHCC’s 90-acre campus features nine modern buildings set amid beautiful gardens surrounded by wooded hills and wetlands. The buildings are situated around a central mall in a university-style setting. The campus is located in Inver Grove Heights less than 10 miles from St. Paul just off U.S. Route 52.
Inver Hills students come from Minnesota and western Wisconsin; most students reside within 20 miles of the campus. The college also hosts international students from a dozen or more countries. About half of course offerings meet online or during evenings, late afternoons and weekends so that working adults can attend. Typically, well over 50 percent of our students hold jobs and learn part-time.
- In fall 2016, 4,998 students were enrolled and taking courses for credit. This is the equivalent of 1,567 full-year equivalent students.
- 38 percent were new to Inver Hills
- 62 percent were continuing
- 33 percent were students of color
- 56 percent came from a home where neither parent held a bachelor’s degree
- 56 percent were classified low-income
- Nearly 5,000 students received training through our Center for Professional and Workforce Development
In 2016, Inver Hills offered 27 two-year degree options and 29 certificates.
Most popular degrees
Top Minnesota cities where our students reside
- St. Paul
- Inver Grove Heights
- Cottage Grove
Average credit load for fall 2016
- Full-time students: 13.7 credits
- Part-time students: 6.6 credits
Inver Hills is fully accredited for delivery of online programs, including the following programs available completely online:
Mission, Vision and Guiding Principles
Dedicated to the power and promise of education, we inspire students, build careers and strengthen communities.
We will be an innovator in education, creating a vigorous intellectual environment for emerging leaders, scholars, and professionals. Through equity and inclusion, we will enrich individual lives and support our diverse communities, locally and globally.
- Student success
- Excellence and innovation in education
- Caring for our environmental, human, and financial resources
- Equity, inclusion, integrity and respect
- Continuous improvement
Inver Hills seeks a Provost with academic vision and a commitment to the dual community college mission of transfer and economic development. The successful candidate will be an accomplished educator with a passion for academic quality. A respect for shared governance is key, and the provost should be someone who is comfortable in supportive engagement of faculty, students, and staff across disciplinary and program areas. The provost will foster the open exchange of ideas across campus, and be able to think boldly while working collaboratively and acting decisively. The Provost is expected to demonstrate a track record in promoting the success of a diverse student body, and to lead the college as it builds upon a proud record of advancing student success for all students, including its considerable first-generation and adult student population.
The successful candidate will have a deep appreciation for the faculty role and be a strong champion for teaching and learning within the College. In response to decreasing enrollment, the next Provost will have the opportunity to engage faculty and create new programs that meet the needs of the community and prospective students. Inver Hills Community College is aligned with Dakota County Technical College, with one President leading both institutions. The next Provost will have the opportunity to collaborate with the DCTC Provost and lead the faculties to share expertise, ideas and plans for the academic flourishing of both institutions. Maintaining a strong and cooperative relationship with Student Services is a priority as improving student success and retention are high on the list of goals for IHCC.
The next Provost will have expertise in instructional and program development and a successful record of developing online courses or programs. The ability to establish an institutional strategy for online instruction, and to lead faculty to maximize the effective use of classroom and online technologies is critical to the future of the College. A trustworthy and politically savvy leader who listens well and possesses strong verbal skills will be most successful at the college.
Qualifications and Characteristics
- Master's degree from an accredited institution
- Minimum three years of significant higher education academic administrative experience
- Successful college/university teaching experience
- Experience in a higher education institution that offers both liberal arts and career programs
- Experience with regional accreditation processes and use of program review
- Experience developing and administering budgets
- Experience supervising faculty
- Demonstrated success in promoting the values of faculty governance and participative management
- Demonstrably excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Demonstrated commitment to inclusion of and sensitivity to diversity among students, faculty and staff
- Earned doctorate
- Proven visionary leadership in a complex organizational structure
- Experience in strategic planning, resource management and the development of institutional funding priorities
- Experience with strategically planned programs of online learning and use of technology in the classroom
- Experience in developing partnerships with K-12 systems, institutions offering baccalaureate degrees, and business
- Proven record of grant development and acquisition of external funding
- Demonstrated record of facilitating professional development among faculty and staff
- College or university teaching experience
- Experience with collective bargaining in a college environment
Printable Text Profile
Please direct inquiries and nominations to the College’s search consultant: Angela Provart, President Pauly Group, Inc., 3901 Wood Duck Drive, Suite E Springfield, IL 62711, Phone: 217-241-5400, Fax: 217-241-5401, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please submit electronically to email@example.com the following documents as MS Word or Adobe Acrobat attachments: (1) a cover letter that addresses the Opportunity Overview; (2) a current résumé; and (3) names and contact information of five professional references.
The committee will begin review of applications immediately. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, with materials submitted by Monday, February 12, 2018 receiving priority consideration. All applications are confidential and references will not be contacted without the expressed authorization of the applicant.